Monday, December 3, 2012

Day 46: Monday Dec 3 ~ Cabbage Salad Japanese Style ~ Barley with Sweet Rice and Corn ~ Great Northern Beans ~

~ Cabbage Salad Japanese Style ~ Barley with Sweet Rice and Corn ~ Great Northern Beans ~
 
So this is 'salad week' at Engine 2. Jesse hates salad. The mention of the word makes him put his hands over his ears and scream 'lalalalala-I can't hear you'. My initial thought was that I'd just do salad for lunch and we'd have something else together for dinner. Then it felt like 'double work' somehow (typically lunch is quick/easy leftovers, soups, etc.)...so I decided to just tie the salads into the meals for dinner...and hope he didn't notice. Really if I keep it interesting enough, don't use the 's' word, and limit my use of regular lettuce...I might just get away with it! We'll see...
 

 
Cabbage Salad Japanese Style
http://www.marthastewart.com/939791/cabbage-salad-japanese-style
1/2 cabbage sliced thinly/shredded
1 Tbsp. miso paste
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup safflower oil (leave out)
zest and juice of a lime
1 tsp. sesame oil (leave out, sprinkled sesame seeds on later)
whisk and put cabbage right in bowl

Barley with Sweet Rice and Corn
From "The Kind Diet"/Alicia Silverstone, page 289. Sorry, recipe not online.
I am glad to see her diverse use of barley in the book. :)

Great Northern Beans
heated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment