Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 19: Tuesday Nov 6 ~ Winter Thai Curry Stew ~ Apple Pie Baked in the Apples ~

~ Winter Thai Curry Stew ~ Apple Pie Baked in the Apples ~


Today it's Winter Thai Curry Stew, and for dessert - Apple Pie Baked in the Apples...because what's more 'American' than voting and eating apple pie?

Winter Thai Curry Stew
So, yeah uh...Thai Garlic Chili Paste should not be substituted for Thai Curry Paste.

Travesty of all travesties - we ran out of curry paste! I looked up the recipe to make it online, and it called for lemongrass and a buncha things that are lovely but I don't keep in my kitchen normally.
So...I thought - well I have this here other paste that says Thai on it. I know it's not the same, but maybe it'd be good...
Oh my - just the steam from it heating up had me in coughing fits - pulverized red chilis permeating the air...this is going to be one spicy soup!

The recipe: http://bigeatstinykitchen.com/2012/02/11/winter-thai-curry-stew/
Our modifications:
* no fresh ginger, we just used a few dashes dried.
* vegetables: we used potatoes, carrots, summer squash, broccoli, red pepper, corn, diced tomatoes (what we needed to get rid of :)); skipped the onions and honey.
*we used Bragg's Liquid Aminos v. soy sauce

Apple Pie Baked in the Apples
http://domesticdilettante.com/2012/01/11/applepie/


Our Update
Wow, so Day 19 - if we eat our own food tomorrow (which we will because I'm cooking ahead due to schedule), we'll have bested our last attempt. Yeah!!! :)
It doesn't seem quite as hard anymore. That question is gone...instead of what are we going to EAT (both of us secretly hoping in the back of our minds that the answer will be the name of a fast food place and hoping that the other person will break first so our guilt is relieved), now it is what are we going to MAKE for dinner.
It's not totally seamless yet - the kitchen's gotten back to being a wreck, which makes me not want to go in there. But we do - and like this weekend at the very least we heat up the store I've been creating in the freezer from actually cooking!
So bottom line - it's progress. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment