Thursday, November 22, 2012

Day 35: Thursday Nov 22 ~ Apple Braid ~ Kale Salad with Olives and Pine Nuts ~ Scarlet Roasted Vegetables ~

~ Apple Braid ~ Kale Salad with Olives and Pine Nuts ~ Scarlet Roasted Vegetables ~

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)
 
I'll be helping out with the usual preparations at my mom's later today - but thought I'd make a breakfast treat ahead of time, so we can pick at it while we wait for the rest of the food to come together.
Besides...I really wanted to try this out!!
Also thought it might be nice to bring a few new favorites!

 
 
 
Apple Braid
Instead of the oil, I used applesauce. Instead of the whipping cream, I used homemade almond milk. If you need frothiness/body, I wouldn't necessarily recommend substituting the almond milk - but in this recipe, it is just for a glaze - so I thought, sweet, a little healthy fat in there...that'd be a good substitution. *In retrospect, it probably could be a little thicker - why they said with whipping cream perhaps? I would recommend thickening the almond milk by not adding as much water when processing (as you would for regular 'milk'). Alternatively, you could just add in a little extra powdered sugar and you'd be all set.

Homemade almond milk:
 
Kale Salad with Olives and Pine Nuts
This was one we tried the last day of the Comicon - it was a fun, spicy salad. Hmm...with the colors if this is a winner over there I might reprise it at Christmas!http://freedomfromfastfood.blogspot.com/2012/10/day-10-sunday-oct-28-portabellas.html
 
Scarlet Roasted Vegetables
Yeah, I know - not scarlet today! Surprisingly enough, Kroger did not have beets! I had canned some earlier this summer, but was afraid even with rinsing the vinegar might throw the flavor off, so I decided to abstain.
This dish is never the same twice because I always have a different mixture of vegetables - however, it is always good no matter what you put in it! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment