Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 21: Thursday Nov 8 ~ Vegetable Pot Pie ~

~ Vegetable Pot Pie ~

Typically, when I think of pot pie, I think of those frozen deals where you carve c for chicken on the top and hope you can still read it after it bakes and you don't end up with a beef one! We did occassionally have 'real' homemade pot pie growing up, which was delicious. I haven't had pot pie of any variety in several years, so it's about time. :)

We have Happy Herbivore to thank for our recipes tonight. I found this great one - but instead of my vision of 'traditional' pot pie with a crust on top, she floats biscuits in it (like the Amish do :) ).
http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/veggie-biscuit-pot-pie/
That's great, but I wanted crust (tradition!). I ended up using the 'Easy Oil' crust in the old standard, Better Homes & Garden red checkered cookbook. I'm not yet proficient with crust, so the 'easy' drew my attention.
The issue is - if I'm trying to live plant-strong, I really shouldn't make a regular crust out of butter, or even 'vegan' crust out of oil. I was relieved that she had a recipe for pie crust, as I was beginning to think I was out of luck! :) So...next time when I have a ripe banana...I'm trying it.
http://happyherbivore.com/2010/09/pie-crust/

No comments:

Post a Comment