Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 45: Sunday Dec 2 ~ Homemade Wheat Thins ~ Low-Fat Vegan Nacho Cheese ~

~ Homemade Wheat Thins ~ Low-Fat Vegan Nacho Cheese ~


 
Tonight we are actually eating out with Jesse's family to celebrate his mom's birthday. So I'm not cooking dinner today. Lunch is leftover tuna salad (on lettuce this time).
So - since I need to post something and I have a little free time - I thought I would splurge a bit again and make some 'junk' food. What's great is that there is nothing 'junky' about these recipes!! They are made at home from real, plant-strong ingredients. Awesome.
 
 
Homemade Wheat Thins
http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/crackers.shtml
It's funny how many times I've 'realized' that you can cook things that usually come in a box or can. I know - this might be one time I use the blonde excuse - but I never thought of baking my own crackers! So when I ran across a recipe a while back for crackers I totally flipped - what? You can bake your own crackers? OMG! I didn't know that! Well - duh - they have to be made somehow, somewhere, right?!
Anyway - still amazing to me, and a sign that we take too much for granted, and that possibly there is too much 'convenience' in the world. I do fear that we really aren't all that far away from a Wall-E type existence where the future leader of the world is excited to learn (well, he thinks) that pizza can grow from a thing called a seed.

So...off my soap box and on to the recipe! The only thing I substituted in here was the oil - used applesauce instead. And the thing about flipping it onto another cookie sheet to just transfer back - silly! Just flip it onto another cookie sheet - period. Reuse the parchment on your next batch or something.
Now - how these turned out. They DID taste like Wheat Thins, which is amazing! I couldn't get the texture right though. Some of the edges were right on - so I'm contemplating a few things...poke more holes in it (first time I forgot - oops!), roll it thinner, and if this doesn't do it, separate the rows totally to allow more air on the edges. It is more convenient to keep it in a sheet like they say - but I have the bad feeling that until each cracker is totally separated, I'm going to keep getting heavy, chewy pieces.
We'll see - I'll keep you posted. Hoping to refine this prior to the holidays so I can have some yummy, healthy snacks on hand! :)

Low-Fat Vegan Nacho Cheese
http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/low-fat-vegan-nachos/
Yummy! Guilt-free 'cheese'! :) I didn't have cashews, used almonds. Also ommitted the red pepper (so I'm looking forward to putting this in next time). I used Silk original soymilk - but there is still a vanilla-y taste to it...which put the cheese off a little bit. I think next time I'd try homemade oat milk or maybe Meijer organic soymilk which seems to be less flavorful (ideal for cereal imo). :)
Overall though - very good! This one's a keeper. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment