Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 54: Tuesday Dec 11 ~ Quick Meal Composition ~

We are now entering 'Lazy Week' - or better put, quick 10 min. max meals. :)
We'll be pulling whatever we have out of the freezer and fridge and trying to make something out of it. In eating plant-strong, from what I've learned, meal composition should be: 1/2 plate greens and veggies, 1/4 plate beans/lentils, 1/4 plate whole grains. So this is the rule I"m using.

Previously I would base my meal on the meat - what do I have? Okay, what can I put with that? And I didn't really worry about spices a lot - cheese, salsa, thai mae ploy sauce - it was either that or salt and pepper. Maybe if I was being fancy, garlic salt, basil, parsley, possibly oregano - maybe. (Now we're using spices I had never heard of previously!)
So, when we started eating this way, I was totally lost at first. Without my anchor of meat, I didn't know what constituted a meal. It took a while to get used to this new outlook, but I feel more confident about the basics of a meal now. Still working on all the other details! :)

Today's feast: Leftover Mujadra from LaPita (dinner out yesterday with the fam! so yummy!), Leftover Cabbbage Salad Japanese Style (we stir-fried it so it seemed like a totally different dish: http://freedomfromfastfood.blogspot.com/2012/12/day-46-monday-dec-3-cabbage-salad.html), Couscous (perfectly quick - mix equal parts warm water and couscous, wait 5 minutes, fluff, you're done!), Frozen Vegetable Mix: Florentine Style

No comments:

Post a Comment